Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Industrial Decor

Diane posting, and as a fan of engineering, I love shows like “Mythbusters” and “The Big Bang Theory.” But I have my artistic side too, and am addicted to home design shows like “Design Star” and “Colorsplash.” When a designer goes for a more industrial look, you’ll find me yelling at the TV, “Those cabinets would be perfect with GN 424 pull handles!”

Machine designers have a lot to consider: cost, functionality, ergonomics, safety. But when aesthetics is a consideration, an engineer gets to be an artist as well. To my mind, the right industrial hardware can really be attractive.

Fortunately, our product line offers a whole lot of good-looking components for just such occasions. Many of our products were designed as much for aesthetics as for other considerations, so they make great choices for equipment or machines that need to have consumer appeal.

Seriously, a designer like Vern Yip or David Bromstad could go to town on our Web site. And to prove that point, when our company renovated our facilities recently, our design firm used J.W. Winco components for all the kitchen hardware. They went for variety in our case, to showcase a number of different choices, but you get the idea from these photos. I can certainly picture Doug Wilson tricking out someone’s kitchen or study with some of these knobs and handles.

Another particularly attractive line we offer is our high quality wooden casters, like the LPA-HZ. These have been used on furniture, like rolling carts, to great effect. In fact, when I look at our caster section in general, I feel like putting my furniture on wheels just to make use of these cool-looking products.

Indeed, I can see using adjustable levers, U-handles, knobs, hinges, casters and leveling feet from our line in this capacity. I mean, if you want a true industrial look, why not buy true industrial parts? And just for the heck of it, I compared one of our stainless steel U-handles with a nearly identical one from a kitchen hardware company, and ours was 65% cheaper!

I realize a lot of you are designing things like case erectors, tray stackers, sawing machines, and such like...machines that will live out their lives in a warehouse, shop or factory floor. But for those situations where equipment will be seen or used by consumers--office applications, vehicles, hospitals, etc.--aesthetics becomes an issue. I’m no engineer, but I can tell a lot of our industrial hardware looks darn good.

No comments:

Post a Comment